so reading Tiff's msn name reminded me of the speaker from last week's ACF.
He talked about long-term missions of living in Muslim communities overseas and preaching the Gospel to them. he said it required a certain planning. You spend about 4 years in university, take a year off to travel to "dark place" and gain some knowledge about what trades flourish there, come back find a job in that trade for about 5-10 years, and then apply to the organization to work overseas, by which time, you will be in your 30s. In your 30s, huh? Most people expect to be married and have kids by this time. So how does that work out if you're going to go overseas for years on end, cut off (in a sense) from most of your friends and family?
You've got to live in a flower pot. Live so that you can grow within the pot, but be easily transferred into the garden. You've got to grow, but you can't get too attached. If you let your roots grow too far into the community in which you're in now, it'll be too difficult and perhaps even detrimental to the community that you're leaving.
When I think about it, not even in terms of leaving for missions, but simply, leaving London after university, I'm afraid. I feel like I've already become such a part of LCAC that, I don't know how I would feel if I left. I think of the HYPE kids and wonder, how often would I come back to visit? If I lead a life in Toronto, how much time will I be able to dedicate to keeping in touch with the people I met who live in London? How many of them will I still be communicating with when I'm 25? 35? 40?
I don't want to leave London.
I don't need more reasons to stay.

3 comments:
Don't hold back, it will be even more detrimental.
Whether we like it or not, things in university are set in a cycle.
The community bounces back when one leaves, especially if it already has a well established culture. Every year, new people arrive and others graduate. When a new school year arrives, some old partners will remember, whilst others will continue living their lives.
Counting down the days will only hold you back from your true potential. Try enjoying what you can and make every shot count.
The flower needs more space to grow if it is to survive.
I think when I wrote this post, it was more directed to meaning, "I am not sure how the ending of university would effect me. Would I want to stay in London or move back to the GTA? and at the moment, my thoughts are that I don't want to leave."
hey dearie.. i totally feel you with this post.. and i guess i can offer my own experience :). acf/london/naz/western is and was a huge part of my livingness and i couldn't imagine living away from it... and during 4th year it hurt real bad whenever i even thought of it.. so i guess God knew either a) i was a big baby and needed another year, &/or b) he simply wanted me to be there another year... and i'm glad it happened. haha... however, He is able to EVERYTHING an ANYTHING and changing our hearts to where they need to be is a specialty. leaving this past spring was sad and i love/miss all of you TREMENDOUSLY, but i wouldn't have it any other way. He knew, and he makes us able. :) hahah okay it doesnt make any sense now.. brain dying... but as your anonymous friend said.. don't hold back. :)give it all the love you got. :)love you dear!
Post a Comment